Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default OT Political

On 12/08/2016 11:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 11:37:00 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/08/2016 10:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 9:55:29 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
Though I've been keeping my political remarks to a minimum ...here is
the exact quote from Gingrich. He made this yesterday on the 75th
anniversary of Pearl Harbor:

"

snip

Had the statement been part of of a broader analysis it might have been
a different issue

Apparently it was part of a somewhat broader analysis.

No it wasn't he made two Tweets. Twitter is not the place to posit a
broad analysis. He made no praise anywhere of American values.

You really are an imbecile. He made two tweets and you totally ignored
the first, which puts it in context. You came here and told us it was
"standalone". That was false. The tweet that immediately preceded it,
shows he was speaking about learning the lessons of Pearl Harbor as they
still apply today.

€śDecember 7 is a good day to remember that the world is dangerous and shattering surprise is possible even when we have been warned,€ť

And since when must an entire thought, an entire discussion have to be
in one tweet? Who made that rule?

but it's false no matter how one looks at it.

How is it false? It was an attack that showed technological power
and professional brilliance. They succeeded in delivering a major
blow to the US Pacific Fleet, the list of ships sunk, aircraft
destroyed, is impressive. And they did it with very minimal losses.

snip

You're never going to have a perfect strike, the US carriers being out
to sea was a lucky thing for the US. But overall, it was a stunning
military engagement. The Japanese inflicted huge damage on us, with
very minimal losses to themselves. That is a major success in any
battle.

It was not a stunning victory by any means. A minute portion of the
fleet was sunk in port. All but one ship was put back in commission a
quick order.

Obviously you didn't look at the link I provided that identifies the
ships and when they were put back in service. Sixteen were hit, many
did not return to service until 1943 or 1944. Three were totally
destroyed as were 188 aircraft. It was a stunning military engagement
by any reasonable metric. The Japanese inflicted significant losses on
the US, while suffering very minimal losses themselves. That is the
standard for a successful military engagement. If the US fleet went
to sea, in one engagment that lasted a couple hours, they hit 16
Japanese ships, including most of their battleships,
sunk 3, put many others out of service for months to 3 years, wiped
out 188 aircraft, killed 2400, while suffering only very minimal
losses, WTF would you call that?

Indeed he did make an additional Tweet that day but it does not change
what he said. He called a dastardly deed a "brilliant" one.

If you stuck a knife in the back of someone who was not looking, I'm not
sure if too many people would call you brilliant.