Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Political

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 11:32:23 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 12/08/2016 10:12 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
"75 years ago the Japanese displayed professional brilliance and
technological power launching surprises from Hawaii to the Philippines."

As a veteran who has come from a family of veterans I am beyond sickened
at such a traitorous and disgusting remark. The above quote was a "stand
alone" quote and was not been taken out of context.

Do you take issue with the accuracy of the statement?

My biggest issue is Gingrich lauding the Japanese on Pear Harbor day and
not making a statement anywhere praising American values.
That is something which cannot be debated. Anyone can view his
disgusting remarks on Twitter.

Out of the thousands of replies he got, I saw nothing but utter disgust
from his followers.

As to the accuracy of his statement ...that can be debated but it is not
at all true. If you care to read the history of WW-II it was assumed the
Japanese were going to attack ...somewhere....sometime.

IDK what history books you're reading, but my take on it was that tensions
had increased, the US thought war with Japan was a possibility, but not
that we knew they were going to attack. Conspiracy theorists of course
claim we knew about the actual attack on Pearl Harbor ahead of time.

From a purely tactical point , it was a blunder on the part of the
Japanese because the US fleet was mostly all out to sea.

When is a world power navy ever all in port? The big miss was the
US carriers, which the Japanese thought were at Pearl, but they were
not sure and a recon mission to find out failed because it could not
be refueled. It was a decisive, stunning, tactical defeat, that's for
sure.

FDR knew that the only way he could justify the US getting into the war
was by such an attack. Since the fleet was not there when the Japanese
arrived, it was almost as if he knew for sure it was going to happen.

Here come the conspiracy theories....