Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Under counter hot water heater

On 08/12/2016 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:
Help! Local charity had one of these installed by well meaning cowboys.

Just been to take a look. It has plastic screw threaded fittings on the
top in blue and red for water in and out. The guy who put it in must
have got both on cross threaded first time around and then over
tightened to try and stop it leaking. Several people have tried to sort
it out since with no success. They have already had two biggish floods!

Someone else has put them on properly threaded and then over tightened
them even more. It still leaks at a level where after an hour about 0.1L
escapes. Both hot and cold sides are compromised but hot is worse. There
are rust marks running down the side from the connectors.

This might be irrelevant but it is rated 2.2bar maximum pressure but I
am told as originally installed it was set on 3bar (despite what the
rating plate said). Will this have done any permanent damage?

What was set to 3 bar?

If the unit has a 2.2 bar max rating, and the supply pressure is higher,
then you would typically need a pressure reduction valve installed
before the heater.

I was thinking of taking it apart and putting Viton O rings around the
pipes and then tightening the compression fittings again. I also have
PTFE tape and circular section but I am undecided which would stand the
best chance of working. Any other suggestions for how to make the thing
leak proof - any magic gunks that would be worth a try. Bearing in mind
that it will get hot and cold cycled so anything too rigid will fail.

I hate plumbing but I am the best chance they have of getting a repair
for free - otherwise they will be buying an entire new unit (again).

Its not entirely clear what type of fittings are on there... if they are
threaded stubs, then it sounds rather like they were intended to take
tap connector style fittings. However you later mention compression
fittings. These could be compression tap connectors I suppose - but in
which case which joint is leaking - the compression fitting onto the
pipe, or the tap connector onto the heater?

As others have said, Fernox LS-X may be the only option.

--
Cheers,

John.