Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Under counter hot water heater

On 08/12/2016 12:35, MrCheerful wrote:
On 08/12/2016 08:50, Martin Brown wrote:
Help! Local charity had one of these installed by well meaning cowboys.

Just been to take a look. It has plastic screw threaded fittings on the
top in blue and red for water in and out. The guy who put it in must
have got both on cross threaded first time around and then over
tightened to try and stop it leaking. Several people have tried to sort
it out since with no success. They have already had two biggish floods!

Is it one of those Ariston ones? My one lasted just Three years before
springing a leak, it was not from the actual connector joins, (which
were tricky to sort out) but one of the pipes itself had pinholed,
ruined the new cupboard it was in too. Guarantee was only two years.
When I replace it I will get a heatrae instead. So if it is Ariston,
just chuck it and start again

Its Hyco with 15L reservoir (which isn't really enough). Its not an
ideal choice since people tended to run the hot tap and exhaust it. Its
predecessor same brand apparently lasted nearly a decade. Under sink
cupboard doesn't look too good with the water damage and swelling but it
is cosmetic rather than structural failure.

Annoyingly the thing is only 6m from the electric supply so an inline
flash boiler would have been a much better solution.

I found another installation gotcha (or rather was told about it today)
- the outdoor cold tap is on the wrong side of the pressure reducer
which is why they installed it at 3bar to get a decent flow rate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown