Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Diswasher noise level - 53 db versus 50 db - any real difference??

Thane wrote:
On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 20:14:01 +0000, nick wrote:

replying to TNSTAAFL, nick wrote:
My dad always said 'Buy the best and you will always be happy with it'.
This is an item you are going to be using for 10 years plus. Spend the
extra and get something you will love.
Skip going to four movies over the next year to pay the difference. You
won't miss the movie, but you sure will enjoy the quieter dishwasher for
the nine years afterwards.

3dB difference is equivalent to one half of the sound level. You'll hear
it, but it'll not be dramatically lower. It also depends on where its
located (near people having quiet conversations, TV etc). I opted for
50dB and haven't regretted it.

Thane

No, 3 dB is 3 dB less. 1/2 sound level us -6 DB. Actual ear 1/2 volume is
-10 dB. Trouble with reading is unknown frequency band. Frequencies between
2-3kHz are more audible. So it's harder to compare different readings,
since the meter is not your hearing response.

Greg