Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Sash weights, what to do with them?

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 12:55:01 PM UTC-6, wrote:
After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Are they cast iron or wrought iron? Before about 1850, most iron was wrought iron. If your irons had been recycled, they might be pre-1850/1860, there abouts, so they may be wrought iron.

Is there a blacksmith in your area? A smithy might be interested in them. Maybe have him/her make a few holddowns for you. Or a few other items you might like or need.... decor (olde time?) strap hinges, gate latches, door knock, decor type items. Is there such a thing as a iron mistletoe hanger? Need a froe? LOL.

As for as any fees, might can trade some of the irons for partial labor costs.... or sell them to the smithy. The smithy might have a few ideas for ya. What might be appropriate for a late 1800s home, that can be made with them?

Otherwise, as Karl says, boat (skiff) anchors or trout/catfish line weights, weights for nets.

Sonny