Default caulking around toilet base - yea or ney

Yes, do what Tom Baker says.

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...
dando wrote in message

. ..
Replacing flooring in my bathroom, so eventually I will have to make

this
choice.

As I see it, the pros to caulking are extra assurance of sealing in

sewer
gases, and cleanliness around the floor (if junior goes hog wild with

the
pee pee for instance, it doesn't find a nice hard to reach home under

the
toilet.) Yuck.

Negative is if the toilet leaks under the base, how would you know it?
Yuck.

So could a solution in my case, assuming the floor is level, be to drill

hole in the subfloor somewhere in the area that will be covered by the
toilet, so that any leak will be noticed dripping into the brickfloored

old
cellar? (I could even use a hole with a rubber stopper that I could
remember to check periodically?

What do you think?

More toilet and subfloor questions to follow no doubt.

Thanks all.

Caulk and leave an inch or two in the back where water can escape.
That location should not going to get too much water shoved into it.

TB