Mike W.

Default Sump drain line - Spring under house?

Are you talking about the corrugated black pipe or the other smooth black
pipe mentioned earlier in the post?

Thanks,
Mike

"Jeepnstein" wrote in message
I have a sump pump in my basement that runs pretty much year round. It
dumps into black pipe and empties on the back of the lot. I never have

had
a problem with freezing despite the fact it isn't buried too deep. We

don't
get that many days of super cold weather south of Columbus. Southern Ohio
has alot of ground water. There are good springs all over the place and

you
might have one.

The pump and a dehumidifier have done alot for my basement. If I were
you, I think I'd be looking at trying to drain the water away with a

french
drain before it gets into the basement.

Jim

"Mike W." wrote in message
Well...

The house was built in the winter... and here in southern Ohio we had a
pretty wet winter. There was water in the basement almost the entire
construction period, but my builder kept assuring me that it would get
better once the grading was done... It did get better, but its still

not
'good'. I have a feeling that if I would have pressed, he could have

said
'fine, dont buy the house' since he footed the construction bill and we
bought it outright. And this is our house... designed just for us on

the
lot we wanted in the area we wanted. I probably let that cloud my

judgement
for not pressing the issue.

You said 'engineer'. What kind of engineer would I call? County?

Thanks for the advice.
Mike W.

"'nuther Bob" wrote in

message
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:49:32 GMT, "Mike W."
wrote:

pipe clogging it or cracking it. I also thought of getting some PVC

pipe
match the pipe coming out of the house and have it run all the way in

the
trench... but will it crack too? Im not sure what to do.

Smooth pipe, large size, make sure it's all down hill, freezing will
not be as much of an issue as long as it heads downhill. You will
probably get a little freeze in the bottom, but it will not freeze
solid. The fact that your pump runs so often will actually help.

Now... back to the problem... is there any way to get the seller
to pay for some professional work on this with an engineer ? It
seems like somebody would have had to have noticed this during
construction (like when they came in to do the electrical work
and found 2 feet of water in the basement. I think you have a
good basis for a shoddy workmanship lawsuit (and no, I don't sure
everybody, but it looks like someone failed to disclose the true
facts about this property).

bob

If the pipe is large enough, freezing should not be an issue. That
is, a

Any advice would be helpful. Should I just pay a professional to

come
out
and do it? Or am I on the right track.

Thanks,