Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Epoxy question 2

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news:e7bcf24e-
:

West System or woodcraft System 3? Advantages of either?

Short answer - use whatever's cheapest.

Longer answer - West System makes epoxies for marine
construction applications, where structural strength is
the important consideration. System Three does the same
(altho they also make epoxies for other purposes), as
does MAS, Raka, and several other companies (*).

For a structural application, I'd go with West or System
Three - I think they are equivalent, and I think their
catalyst chemistry (hardener - the resin is basically
the same for all vendors) is more sophisticated. That
said, a lot of people say they use the other brands with
no issues, and they are cheaper (myself, I use West,
mostly out of habit).

In your case, tho, filling a void isn't structural. The
real concern you have is being able to control the
appearance of the result. I do know that West System's
lightest hardener will be yellowish, so possibly some
other brand will give you a better color, if you need it.
Other than that, for your purposes whatever is easiest
to get and or cheapest should be fine.

John

(* System Three is a brand sold at many places, not just
at Woodcraft).