Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plain bearing example

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:51:16 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

The people who preceded the Romans were pretty good at making metal
spheres too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...980.2-1.42.jpg

Surely something fit for a Queen. What kind of magnifying glass was
used by the person who crafted that? The detail probably took
weeks.
(Roger Bacon discovered the magnifying glass in 1250)

I had the eyesight and fine motor skill for that kind of detail when I
was young. I could read the States' names on the Lincoln Memorial on
the back of a $5 bill.
http://www.realcurriculum.com/scopec...a-III.PICT.jpg

With a magnifier I can still splice the ends of 0.015" solder
together.
-jsw