Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED lighting

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 14:05:43 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Having an energy meter that displays usage in realtime will help cut
down the amount of energy that gets wasted.

That one always interests me. Do you or yours boil a kettle just for
the fun of it? Run the clothes drier empty?

No. But in a typical house there are a handful of items with relatively
high standby power which when eliminated cuts the 24/7 base load.

Ok. But I only leave things on

because you are the only in existance ?.
No one else ever uses any electrical device in yuor home ?

by that need to be - say with a clock
or timer. Thinks that don't get switched off.

me too, that's how I know what the meter should be reading at an instant in time.

Saving 10W on base load translates to 90kWh/year which @ 12p/kWh = £11

Right.

Our previous TV was 25W on standby thanks to default settings that kept
the digital decoder running all the time. A couple of other PC
peripherals are in the region of 10-20W on standby - automatically
switching them off when the PC is sleeping saves money.

I don't see any need to leave any computer running when not in use.

My computer was running a webcam, some use a CCTV systems that has to stay running. I suppose you think they don't use any power.
Some have those garden lights that come on when anyone passes by happened ot me on saturday a nieghbour light came on at about 2:15am as I walked past it stayed on for 10 or more mins, before it went off.

Most would have the sense not to leave lights etc on when not in use.
If they do, would they pay any attention to an energy meter?

You would be surprised how often the odd light gets left on. Much worse
with teenagers in the house.

Yes - I know that.

and yuo do nothing about it. Good for you.

But does having an energy meter persuade them to switch
things off when not needed?

That's not what an energy meter is for. It is for measuring such things not disaplining sprogs or the brain dead.

It is even more important in the Village Hall where before the realtime
display it was not uncommon for the 6kW immersion heater, ovens and even
electric space heating to be left on overnight by forgetful hirers.

Again - does it tell them to switch things off when not in use?

again - That's not what an energy meter is for. It is for measuring such things not disaplining sprogs or the brain dead.

Because it could be part of a competition between the kids in the street who can use the most electric without being found out.
Do yuo serious thing 20 mph road signs stop drivers goign above 20 mph ?

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.