Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Dryer -- Too much LINT getting through to vent

On 12/6/2016 9:44 PM, Gene wrote:
replying to AE Todd, Gene wrote:
Do not ignore lint build-up anywhere. Even with a better quality
machine. Search the web for "dryer fire" to see why. I have seen it in
person. It's
bad. Very bad.
Lint getting past the filter will accumulate in the dryer plenum and
eventually find its way to the heating coil (electric) or heat box (gas).

Even if your filter is working as designed, clean the lint from the
inside of
the dryer and the duct annually.

Usually ignore posts generated from home owners hub but this is very
important. We thought we had kept ours clean but when a repairman
mentioned that our vent, a plastic covered spring pipe, was not code and
we could have an insurance problem if their was a fire, I bought a new
all metal outlet to replace it. The old was full of lint. Air was
blowing past it but it was a fire waiting to happen. In the future I
will take the vent off to make sure it is clean.