Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plain bearing example

On 7 Dec 2016 03:00:25 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-12-06, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:07:30 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I need an example for an article. Can anyone think of a modern product
which uses plain bearings in a demanding application?

[ ... ]

Are clutch pilot bearings still sintered bronze? That's a dusty,
dirty, hot, and demanding application.

Well -- the MGA (1956 to I think around 1964) used needle roller
bearings for the clutch pilot, and the throwout bearing was a graphite
ring in a cup applied to a hardened steel ring..

Caged? Wow, advanced tech back then. At least those trannies were
single-armers. I used both knees and both arms to hoist my Borg T-10
up into the Javelin bell housing.

The needle roller bearing was not an assembly, but rather a
cluster of needles which you put in place with some grease to hold them
until the input shaft pilot was into place.

I thought that kind of sadism was limited to u-joint cups...
There were only 2 places I ever used long grain wheel bearing grease.
The first was on water pump gaskets, after gluing the gasket to the
pump. I hated scraping old gaskets off timing case covers. The second
was to glue the loose needle bearings in u-joint cups so they wouldn't
be crushed in the press during assembly. I bought the Harbor Freight
5" Mechanic's vise in 1976 for that latter use. Once the cups were
flush-seated, I could use a dowel and mallet to finish seating them to
snap-ring depth. The newer moly wbg didn't work worth a crap to hold
those needles.

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.