Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED lighting

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Having an energy meter that displays usage in realtime will help cut
down the amount of energy that gets wasted.

That one always interests me. Do you or yours boil a kettle just for
the fun of it? Run the clothes drier empty?

No. But in a typical house there are a handful of items with relatively
high standby power which when eliminated cuts the 24/7 base load.

Ok. But I only leave things on standby that need to be - say with a clock
or timer. Thinks that don't get switched off.

Saving 10W on base load translates to 90kWh/year which @ 12p/kWh = £11

Right.

Our previous TV was 25W on standby thanks to default settings that kept
the digital decoder running all the time. A couple of other PC
peripherals are in the region of 10-20W on standby - automatically
switching them off when the PC is sleeping saves money.

I don't see any need to leave any computer running when not in use.

Most would have the sense not to leave lights etc on when not in use.
If they do, would they pay any attention to an energy meter?

You would be surprised how often the odd light gets left on. Much worse
with teenagers in the house.

Yes - I know that. But does having an energy meter persuade them to switch
things off when not needed?

It is even more important in the Village Hall where before the realtime
display it was not uncommon for the 6kW immersion heater, ovens and even
electric space heating to be left on overnight by forgetful hirers.

Again - does it tell them to switch things off when not in use?

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.