Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plain bearing example

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 12:46:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I need an example for an article. Can anyone think of a modern product
which uses plain bearings in a demanding application? I'm not talking
about the extremes (like dental drills and steam turbines), but more
common applications such as supporting lathe spindles and engine
crankshafts. It used to be common to have plain bearings in these
machines, and some were incredibly durable, but I haven't seen any in
a new product for a long time. Are there any examples, or have they
been entirely displaced by standardised ball and roller bearings?

Thanks!

Chris

http://centrifugalpump.org/ball_and_..._bearings.html

So SKF came up with the spherical roller thrust bearing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheri...thrust_bearing

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.