Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default LED lighting

On 03/12/2016 15:37, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:18:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
ss wrote:
Average family living in an average 3 bedroom family house using the
average amount of electricity.

They change from all tungsten lighting to all LED.

How much money would they save on average per year on their leccy bill?

Too many variables to be accurate but as a rough guide I would say if
you have current 60w and move to say 12w LEDs then the lighting part of
leccy bill would approx a fifth of the cost (not including the cost of
the LED bulbs)

Snag with that is it's near impossible to know what proportion of your
leccy bill goes on lighting.

Is there a need to know the proportion? If the question is, how much
money will be saved surely all you need to know is how much
electricity is consumed by the lighting?

Depends what else is electric in the house. Chances are the kettle and a
few domestic appliances like fridge, freezer represent the bulk of other
power consumed plus a base load of typically 100W 24/7 for all the
household kit on standby, central heating, alarm, doorbell, router.

Having an energy meter that displays usage in realtime will help cut
down the amount of energy that gets wasted.

A fairly good strategy is replace lamps with LED units as and when they
blow - that way you mostly replace the most heavily used ones first.

One limitation is if you need sets for chandeliers - they can look
really odd with a mish-mash or random lamps in from different eras.

I suspect if we switched entirely to LED it would cut our electricity
bill by about half. I got around 10% off just by finding and removing
the worst offending standby kit using smart switches. Some old digital
TVs have standby in the 20-30W range whereas recent ones are below 0.5W.

Some libraries will lend you a device to measure them accurately or you
can buy a gadget from Maplins.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown