Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Air return size, is it suppose to be equal to vented air?

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 1:24:30 PM UTC-5, cln wrote:
AFAIK they don't usually put returns in an unfinished basement due to dust
and typically colder air. (I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.)

Our plan is to finish the basement, but valid point.

IIRC there is also some rule about the return not being placed in line of
sight of gas burning equipment, e.g. furnace, boiler, WH, etc.

If you finish the basement and build a utility closet, there should not
be a return in that closet.

There are quite a few HVAC's forums that you could browse for more info.
Just be sure that the info is up to date. Some forum posts might be
outdated with regard to "what was standard at that time" and also code.