donald girod

Default caulking around toilet base - yea or ney

I don't think you need a hole in the subfloor--if the toilet leaks you will
know it in the basement in short order--there's all kinds of room around the
fitting where it goes thru the floor.

Most people caulk, because the toilet rarely sits solidly enough on the
floor to make any kind of seal.

"dando" wrote in message
Replacing flooring in my bathroom, so eventually I will have to make this
choice.

As I see it, the pros to caulking are extra assurance of sealing in sewer
gases, and cleanliness around the floor (if junior goes hog wild with the
pee pee for instance, it doesn't find a nice hard to reach home under the
toilet.) Yuck.

Negative is if the toilet leaks under the base, how would you know it?
Yuck.

So could a solution in my case, assuming the floor is level, be to drill a
hole in the subfloor somewhere in the area that will be covered by the
toilet, so that any leak will be noticed dripping into the brickfloored

old
cellar? (I could even use a hole with a rubber stopper that I could
remember to check periodically?

What do you think?

More toilet and subfloor questions to follow no doubt.

Thanks all.