IMM

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
news
In message , Andy Hall
writes

[snip praise of technology way beyond the comprehension of most
Plumbers!]

Andy, I didn't realise your MAN Micromat boiler was so clever.
If only the UK industry would drag itself into the 21 century with some
decent control technology. The cost of implementation is next to FA, a
mid-range PIC or similar could do the job for a few quid. Even I could
knock something together in a week or so's work, and I only dabble with
PIC's and software occasionally.

Very few condensing boiler now do not have load compensation control, at
modulates the burner. The problems is that when you want full output at all
times, as when heating a thermals tore or quick recovery cylinder, most
can't do it. Some boilers do have terminals that when switched the
modulation is turned on or off. Some boilers, the Baxi is one and see
removing 3 jumpers from the control board.

Mind, can you imagine your average Corgi optimising the PID parameters
of the controller

Not in a million years. They need idiot proof controls. This is where well
specced combi's score well. They thinking is done for them and they just
connect up the pipes.

No thought not.

---