Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plain bearing example

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 05:07:30 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I need an example for an article. Can anyone think of a modern product which uses plain bearings in a demanding application? I'm not talking about the extremes (like dental drills and steam turbines), but more common applications such as supporting lathe spindles and engine crankshafts. It used to be common to have plain bearings in these machines, and some were incredibly durable, but I haven't seen any in a new product for a long time. Are there any examples, or have they been entirely displaced by standardised ball and roller bearings?

Are clutch pilot bearings still sintered bronze? That's a dusty,
dirty, hot, and demanding application.

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.