Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED lighting

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 14:57:46 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 13:47:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I'd like the tubes in my lab replaced with LED's

Why?

To save the college money and every, every month I don't have to
report that a number of tubes are flickering or have now stopped
working.

Do you get your fittings and tubes from the very cheapest on Ebay?

you really are dim aren't you.

How many times have I said we can't order from ebay ?
Our finance department has banned us from ordering via ebay.

How many times do you need this explaining ?

Right. Just wondered where you got rubbish that failed so often?

What rubbish ones that fails so often, you're the one that keeps replacing bulbs and triacs not me.

you mean the two or three 35w halogen ones that have blown since 2006/7
I wouldnlt say they keep blowing.

Why not buy decent makes?

I do, why don't you, I do not think ASDA make decent stuff.
Their own made stuff is pretty crap well the food is. I've only been in asda once thios year to buy toothbrush heads as they were on offer.

What makes you think cheap LEDs will last any longer?

They won't those (mostly) from china are crap even those that give
warrenties of 50,000 hours.

Ah. Right.

See even you can leanr stuff, it might take you longer.

We brought ours from farnell or rather onecall.

Most would tend to buy that sort of thing from a decent local electrical
wholesaler.

We have to go through one of our approved sellers not a mate who owns or works in a local shop down the road.

But i a shop can supply them cheaper and they are willing to wait to be paid on account and up to 3 months late by the college then fine give me some suppliers and I'll forward on their details.

But then I'd expect a uni to have a proper maintenance sparkie
for such things.

We do. But it isn't up to them to finance such a thing, they will replace blown floursecent tubes within a week or so of reporting them.
Maintaince is what it is, not new installs which require a differnt route.
When we had foil put up on the windows it was an extrenal company mainatince could'lt so it because it;s classed as a new install.

It's like employing a window cleaner to install double glazing it doesn't work like that. Of course a DIYer could do either.

Not leave it to the unqulaified. Do the clerical staff
change their tubes too?

No one is allowed to we must get maintaince in to do it, they also keep spare tubes and that way it doesn;t come of the teaching budget.

farnell no longer stock the ones we tried I brought 4 for one office.

Rapid do them now.

https://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...g-Tubes-518335

I could order the 80 tubes needed but last I checked that came to £3k and our teachiogn credit card as a limit of £500 and a monthl;y cap of £2000. I don't think the teaching budget would like that. It should come from the Green Mary
which is a college run thing to push for savings on things like electricity..

unlike you who uses ASDA for our electrical stuff.

If I bought your stuff I'd get decent makes which lasted.

I do both at home and at work which is why we don;t use ebay or ASDA although asda might be OK fro branded products.

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.