Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting oil on lathe bits

On 12/4/2016 9:38 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 10:21:40 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 12/4/2016 2:34 AM,
wrote:
On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 11:03:57 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
In my handbook of Metrology Version 1.1 By Nobuo Suga Mitutoyo Institute
of Metrology - America

Metal to ceramic is a no-no. Keep like kinds together. However
it is done...

On page 3-10 or pp 44 - steel gage block wringing to optical parallel,
wring to two Ceramic Gage Blocks (2" and 1") - then two more steel gage
blocks wringing on the end.- 5 surfaces at once.

"High degree of flatness as well as surface "roughness" are required to
achieve this Phenomenon called winging."

"The winging layer between blocks are in the range of 25 nano-meter.
or for the imperial - .000001 in."

Martin

If that photo showing the stack of mixed gage blocks is the one I think it is, it's one I shot -- of Suga's hand. g

Mitutoyo's gage-block expert (not Suga; he's head of education) is one of the people I consulted when I wrote about it. The one I quoted is a physicist at NIST, Ted Doiran.

He is holding the set in a cloth (white) glove - on the 2" Ceramic - mid
length in weight I suppose. Thumb finger with two more fingers holding
the weight. - I'm looking at my pdf version not the 3-ring manual in the
shelf.

I don't remember the glove. It must be a different photo.

I was supposed to write that book, BTW, but I got pretty sick and was out of commission for a long time. So Suga did it himself. He's good at English when he talks, and is an extremely smart gentleman, but he needs an editor when he writes.

I missed the class, but got the book. I was asked to attend to IBM's
needs for a month in Bordeaux France. Rough duty. Gained weight.
9-4pm. Hour lunch. When I wasn't there, they ate lunch with their
children if they had any. IBM Cafe was something else. French cooks
and good food, wine and bread.

Martin

Gee, it must have been a struggle. g

I suspect it was a QA issue - fingerprints kill good gage blocks.
:-)

At work I used to work 16 hours a day partly due to traffic woes. But
my customers in Europe and the East coast could send me email
(We started Sinet) and I'd get it when I got in. Process it during the
day and shoot them a reply with data. They walk in and get their reply.

I was the go to guy for the two Big "I" companies. The French had
me teach Texan along the way.

Martin