Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Johnson[_3_] Peter Johnson[_3_] is offline

Default LED lighting - street lights

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 09:32:03 +0000, wrote:

On 03/12/2016 19:39, Nightjar wrote:
On 03-Dec-16 11:10 AM, Scott wrote:
As I mentioned elsewhere, I am experimenting with LED lighting.

I was having a curry with a former colleague last night, who mentioned
his father hates LED lighting for the following reasons:

3. Because of the frequency (colour temperature?) the light does not
travel as far so streetlamps need to be placed closer together but.
Councils are not doing this for cost reasons, leaving blackspots in
illumination.

Probably depends upon the Council. My local County Council has recently
carried out a huge programme of updating the street lights to LEDs. All
but a few minor residential streets, where lights were mounted upon
existing overhead power poles, got new light columns at new spacings.

That's happened here in 'ampshire (SO21). It's good that the lights seem
to have less upwards scatter and are more efficient but the overall
result in our village is that it's very difficult to see parked cars and
walkers on the road that runs through the centre. I'm not sure these new
lights are entirely fit for purpose.

In Leicester, only the lamp heads were replaced. Now the programme is
almost complete there is no longer an orange glow over the city at
night. The streets seem to be as bright as they were before the
change. And I can see constellations and stars from my front door that
I couldn't see before, although it is not as dark as it would be in
the countryside.