Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - another car buying question

On Monday, 5 December 2016 12:09:32 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/12/16 12:00, David wrote:
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price.

Some build in, say, 5% or 10% on the price as negotiating room.

Any rule of thumb for used vehicles in the £10-15k range?

Yes. Take what you have to spend and subtract £2,500 from it, and buy
the best that you can find at that price.

The spend the £2500 on sorting out the reasons why it was being sold in
the first place.

Older expensive cars depreciate fast, but may not have that much mileage
. E.g. uyopu can pick up a 60,000 mile XJ8 for peanuts, thats been well
looked after by an old gent who kept it in his garage mostly.

If the car is new enough get an extended warranty on it.

I realised that it is a long time since I bought a car.

General dealer margin will be around 30%, and its worth looking at cars
they cant shift easily that they would like to get shot of. And just ask
them what the price is, and subtract 30%, and go from there.,

I'd never buy from a dealer - unless buying new.

NT