Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Alternator on DD-3-53 does not charge at idle

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I still think you're off on the date of introduction for internal
regulators. The one's I saw were based on ceramic substrate hybrids
such as this one from Delco:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/ProductImages/d10se6-1.jpg
I couldn't find a photo of the insides of a hybrid voltage regulator.
It's a ceramic substrate, with screened and fired resistors on the
substrate, conductive paths, and components attached with reflowed
solder. It's much like a modern SMD PCB, but using a ceramic
substrate instead of G10/FR4 board.

My 1963 Pontiac Catalina, and my 1966 Pontiac GTO both had firewall
mounted, mechanical regulators for their alternators. I had a 1968 GMC
Handivan that used the same regulator. My 1973 Chevy Stepvan (Union City
body on a school bus or motorhome chassis) was my first vehicle with an
internal regulator. I used to rebuild bad alternators, rather than
replace them. Brushes, bearings and diodes were easy to find, and
affordable to rebuild the existing alternator.

I had a 'Barney Fife' type tell me to shut off the GTO in the middle
of the road, because the lights were dim. I told him that I wouldn't be
able to restart the engine, if I did. I told him that I had just bought
a new regulator to repair it, and that I was only 15 feet from my driveway.

The stupid #$%^&* pulled his gun on me and screamed that he was going
to kill me, if I moved the car. My dad was home, and heard him. He
asked what was wrong. 'Barney' told him that he was going to shoot me
because I wouldn't shut off my car. Dad went back in for one of his guns
and told him to leave, or the sheriff would be called to arrest him,
since the Township police were not allowed to do more than write traffic
tickets. 'Barney' fled the scene when the neighbors started coming
outside, and heard him making more threats. He was a bad ass, with no
witnesses, but a real coward when the porch lights started coming on.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.