Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2.5 mil and still counting

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 15:09:07 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 14:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

On 2016-12-04, Stormin' Norman wrote:
In fact, I advocate our country implement two year universal military
servitude for all citizens of a certain age,

Ah, so you are in favor of institutionalized slavery.

I am in favor of universal military servitude just as I am in favor of
taxes for all residents. I would even like to see voting eligibility
tied to this service.

Freedom isn't free, and currently our citizens are insulated from the
costs of maintaining our representative democracy. We have what is
basically a mercenary style, all volunteer, well paid and benefited
military. For those who haven't noticed, much of the cost of our
military operations are financed through borrowing from future
generations.

Those of you who didn't live through the second war did not experience
the sacrifices made by that generation to support that war. Now, we
go to war and build $13 billion super carriers and no one notices the
cost because of the unbridled borrowing. We also barely notice those
who fight our wars and most citizens can ignore the conflicts because
they can just choose to not serve and their children can avoid service
just as did Trump.

If you want to characterize UMS as slavery, that is your business. I
would like to see it implemented as the price of voting citizenship.
Of course there would be exceptions and maybe we would have a
universal government service instead of UMS, but the concept is the
same.

I agree with UGS rather than UMS. I grew up in a community where
volunteerism and service were a part of everyday life. I did my 2
years, teaching.