Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do sandhill cranes eat fish

On 12/3/16 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:

They are omnivorous, "They feed in shallow water, sometimes probing
with their bills, or walking through short growth and fields. Their
diet includes insects, both aquatic plants and animals, seeds, grains,
berries, tubers, fruit, nuts, small mammals, lizards, snakes, frogs,
rodents, and even small birds. "

Beautiful birds, almost became endangered in Florida. Now they have
returned and flourish.

https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/education/interactive/springscoast/sandhillcranes.shtml

Supposedly, something like 80% of them fly through Nebraska and
stop along the Platte River in the spring. There's something like a
visitor's center at, I think, Wood River, NE. Lots of bird watchers,
I guess.
It doesn't seem like we have the good old slow spring thaws with lots
of standing water like years ago. The geese and ducks don't hang around
the southeast part of the state like in the past. OR so it seems. I
don't live in the Platte Valley so can't really say how things are there
in the spring.