Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Do sandhill cranes eat fish

On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 15:33:26 -0600, "cowabunga dude"
wrote:

When I went out to get the mail a sandhill crane flew away from on top of the storage building, overlooking the stock tank.

They've been around before and never been a problem. I like seeing them around when they drink from the stock tank.

When I poured in some fish food I watched for the fish to swarm around and eat, there wasn't any fish. There had been four large eight inch, two large four inch, and the rest were around three inches, but skinny. There were seventeen, now there are none.

I poked around with a stick, and still no fish.

Never before have fish been missing after I've seen sandhill cranes.

As you might be able to tell, I'm disappointed.

They are omnivorous, "They feed in shallow water, sometimes probing
with their bills, or walking through short growth and fields. Their
diet includes insects, both aquatic plants and animals, seeds, grains,
berries, tubers, fruit, nuts, small mammals, lizards, snakes, frogs,
rodents, and even small birds. "

Beautiful birds, almost became endangered in Florida. Now they have
returned and flourish.

https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/education/interactive/springscoast/sandhillcranes.shtml