Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting oil on lathe bits

Gunner Asch on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 19:17:26 -0800
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:58:42 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
The "Thatlazymachinist" on YouTube had a video that explained that the
purpose of cutting oil was to enhance the flow of the chip on the face
of the cutting tool. I posted this comment question, but I'm getting
impatient & I expect that someone here has the answer.

Quote:
If cutting oil helps the chip flow along the face of the tool, it needs
to be ON the face of the tool. But if it is applied to the stock ahead
of the cut, how does it get from the surface of the stock to the face of
the tool? This seems especially unlikely given that the chip is in
constant contact with the face (how would oil get between them?)?

Thanks,
Bob

It flows on. It only takes a thou or two to float a chip

If memory serves from tech school, the cutting oil doesn't
lubricate the chip, so much as cool the chip & tool. (After all,
where the tool meets the metal,there isn't room for anything else.
Cutting oil is last on the scene.)

FWIW: I first read the subject line as meaning "how does one cut
oil on a lathe?"
--
pyotr filipivich