Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default LED lighting

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12:45:30 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Scott writes:
As I mentioned elsewhere, I am experimenting with LED lighting.

I was having a curry with a former colleague last night, who mentioned
his father hates LED lighting for the following reasons:

1. The spectrum is too narrow thus depriving the body of the right
kind of light.
2. HIgh frequency flicker, higher than fluorescents possibly
triggering migraine.
3. Because of the frequency (colour temperature?) the light does not
travel as far so streetlamps need to be placed closer together but.
Councils are not doing this for cost reasons, leaving blackspots in
illumination.

Is there any merit in these arguments?

in on my own account, always remember to sign out of gmail on a guest machine....

No.

Lighting industry did lots of experiments with CFLs to try and
understand what people didn't like about them. However, it was
quickly shown that these people didn't like lights they thought
were CFLs and did like light they thought were filaments.
Since what they *thought* didn't match reality, it could only
be put down to physicological bias, not genuine physiological
issues.

C`mon Andrew, that is at best insincere, their are known physical issues with CFLs to photo sensitive people

"some energy
saving compact fluorescent lights may emit ultraviolet radiation at levels that,
under certain conditions of use, can result in exposures higher than guideline
levels. The HPAs view is that single envelope CFLs should not be used where
people are in close proximity - closer than 30 cm or 1 ft - to the bare light bulb
for over one hour a day. "

http://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/national/...ensitivity.pdf

Of course, there are poor quality CFLs and poor quality LEDs,
and if you buy those and don't like them, then don't be
surprised.

Some dimmable LEDs have no smoothing of the rectified mains,
so if you don't like 100Hz flicker of moving things, avoid
dimmable LEDs.

--
Andrew Gabriel

In the interests of balance ;-) heres industry response to AMA LED warning

http://ecmweb.com/lighting-control/industry-responds-ama-led-streetlight-warning