Posted to alt.home.repair
Arnie Goetchius[_2_] Arnie Goetchius[_2_] is offline

Default Grab Bars in a Shower Stall

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 7:34:36 AM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 8:58:08 AM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Tom TurquÃ*a wrote:
On 11/27/2016 9:35 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Arnie Goetchius:
It will
be interesting to see how many days it takes before it falls off the
wall.
I would say the real issue is what happens when/if it comes loose when
somebody grabs it - either for balance or to break a fall.

Waaaaay beyond "Interesting".

I plan to grab it every day just to see if it has come loose. I don't
need it yet, just planning for the future.

Wouldn't it be less effort to just properly install a grab bar?

I'd like to do that eventually. Use of this device gives me a chance to
determine where I would actually want to install the grab bar. One issue
is that this grab bar would go on the wall where the shower head and
faucet handles are located and I'm not sure where the studs are.

In some houses, there is an access panel on the other side of the faucet wall
so the shower plumbing can be serviced. If you have an access panel, you
should be able to see the studs. If not, you could open the wall and
then add a trimmed out access panel for future use.

You can make your own and trim it out to match your other trim or you
can buy pre-made access panels, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-34044-A.../dp/B005SRVJ0U

Obviously, the location of the panel and how it fits in with the layout
of your rooms would factor into that decision.

The problem here is that the other side of the faucet wall is also
covered with tile so I would have to rip all of that out so that
approach is really not feasible.

I guess that depends on your definition of "not feasible" and I'm pretty
sure you wouldn't have to rip it *all* out.

DAGS 'access panel on tile wall' e.g.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...2eab7a1567.jpg

You can buy inlay access panels that allow you to install tile.

http://www.accessdoorsandpanels.com/...el-for-tiling/

Neat stuff. Thanks for the ideas.