Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Your home MUST be demolished soon.

On 12/02/2016 09:01 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 9:38:57 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 12/02/2016 06:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
THEY will build whatever kind of house you want, provided YOU are
willing to pay. Most people want the cheapest house with
granite countertops, and don't care that they're basically made
of toothpicks and tissue paper.

I worked for a contractor years ago. Every house had a fireplace and
hardwood floors. Everything else from the roof to the leach field was
one step down from toothpicks and tissue paper. Even the lawn was seeded
with annual ryegrass guaranteed to last until November.

When I said "willing to pay", what I meant was "willing to pay for
a custom house and able to enforce the desired level of quality
by riding the contractor on every little detail". I probably
should just have typed that to begin with, but I figured in this
newsgroup, everybody knew that already.

Cindy Hamilton

Long ago a friend of mine had been invited to the house of a well known
record producer in Hollywood and I was lucky enough to be able to tag along.

The house was totally generic looking on the outside but once indoors,
the old world craftsmanship was apparent. Such woodwork was common in
the 19th Century but quite rare after WW-II.

One of my first comments to our host was about the woodwork.

He smiled , and was very glad I had an eye for it, then said:

"Guess who did it?"

Turns out it was done by Harrison Ford a bit before he made it in the
movies.

So if one is very wealthy one can still get that old school
craftsmanship....but most rich people today seem to care less.