Jeff Cochran

Default Municipal water pressure

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 07:51:29 GMT, (Scott) wrote:

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 06:27:17 +0000 (UTC),
(David
Efflandt) wrote:

Normally city water should be between 20 to 80 psi, but usually there is
not too much concern if it is somewhat higher, as long as it is normally
that high.

That's part of the issue. The pressure has risen from 50 to 110 over
the course of a decade or so.

That's not exactly abnormal, a decade is quite a while...

your own pressure regulating valve to protect her house.

I did that, once I figured out what was going on, and stopped the
pressure problems in the house. But that leaves the 200 yards of old
supply line between the house and the main, buried at 5' under a
driveway, mature shade trees and outbuildings. The cost and impact of
replacing it are decidedly non-trivial.

First, you usually out the PRV at the meter. Second, is the main
showing any signs of trouble? If it's an older line, it's likely
galvanized steel and will have no issues with 110 PSI.

On one hand, it's a huge expense and hassle caused in part by the city
increasing the supply pressure; my mom really can't afford the repair
work, so maybe the city needs to pitch in.

So maybe you need to call and complain to them, we can't force your
city to help you.

Jeff