HeatMan

Default Municipal water pressure

"Scott" wrote in message
news:3f31f974.679516037@localhost...
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 06:27:17 +0000 (UTC), (David
Efflandt) wrote:

Normally city water should be between 20 to 80 psi, but usually there is
not too much concern if it is somewhat higher, as long as it is normally
that high.

That's part of the issue. The pressure has risen from 50 to 110 over
the course of a decade or so.

But if the pressure has been rising or is surging, the city might have a
pressure regulating valve or pump controls that need work. You could get

IMO it's deliberate. My mom's place is on the sloping plane area
below the foothills. When city water became available, hers was just
about the highest house. The supply pressure at that time was around
50 PSI. In the years since, an expensive McSuburb has sprouted in the
foothills above my mom's old farmhouse, and they're all on the same
water main. I reckon the city has been cranking the pressure on that
main to keep the new houses supplied.

We've had the city engineer out, but his opinion is that it's normal.
My mom's opinion of the city engineer is...well, let's not go there.

your own pressure regulating valve to protect her house.

I did that, once I figured out what was going on, and stopped the
pressure problems in the house. But that leaves the 200 yards of old
supply line between the house and the main, buried at 5' under a
driveway, mature shade trees and outbuildings. The cost and impact of
replacing it are decidedly non-trivial.

My neighbor put his PRV just past the meter near the street....