Joseph Meehan

Default replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles

Because the three contact outlets are backward compatible. Also due to
dual insulation construction many appliances don't need a ground for safety,
but some do.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"RJ" wrote in message
It's odd that we've mandated 3-hole receptacles,
but not 3-plug appliances.

Your refrigerator, washer, and perhaps the microwave
may be the only "grounded" appliances in your house.

When we get to GFI circuit-breakers in the distribution panels,
we can go back to two-hole outlets. ( it's just a matter of time )

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:52:02 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

A neutral carries current, a ground does not. Many grounded devices
attach the outside of the case to the ground. Touch the devices case and

good ground means you are in the grounding path and if there happens to

be a
fault or a little resistance in the neutral circuit, you become part of

the
circuit. Not good.

rj