Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

whisky-dave wrote
NY wrote
whisky-dave wrote

It;'s similar to lifetime guarantees where the
con is that you have to have a reciept why ?

If a product is faulty it goers back to the manufacter for replacement
NOT the store, as where you brought it should be irrelivant.

Normally, the receipt is the proof of *when*
as well as *where* the device was bought.

Why does that matter ?

Because there is a time limit on the warranty, stupid.

It's irrelevant whether you bought your vacuum cleaner (or whatever)
from Currys, John Lewis or a local one-off private electrical shop, but
if the warranty is for two years, then proving *when* you bought
the vac (and so when the warranty clock starts ticking) is crucial.

Obvioulsy but I;'m talking about lifetime guarantees and guarantees of
50,000
hours for an LED bulb. All, they need to do is have a date stamp on the
buld.

Doesnt tell you when it was sold and that is what matters legally.

50k hours is over 5 years so if yuor 50k hour life bulb dies and
the date stamp said it was made in 2015 you should be able
to get a replacement from the maker without a recipt

You can, particularly if you make the claim with the manufacturer.

I got two replacement Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Openers
just by sending the manufacturer a photo of the broken bit, when
they were outside the state warranty, no receipt required at all.

However you are talking about a lifetime warranty, so the concept
of "when the clock starts ticking" is irrelevant. All I can think is that
the manufacturer wants to make sure you've bought the appliance
from an authorised reseller and have not acquired it as a "grey import"
that has bypassed the normal distribution channels

Legally they can't do that here.

and may not even be authentic

Well such things a sfake can be sorted unless
they truely are a s good as an orginal.

Even if they are, the official manufacturer
isnt legally liable for failures of the fake.

(it could be a rip-off clone).

So ....

So the official manufacturer isnt legally liable when it fails.

Also, it's a check that the appliance isn't nicked and
bought from a man in a pub, no questions asked :-)

why does that matter the buld has a lifetime guarantee.

But no one paid for it, so there is no legal liability to fix it.

When I bought my camera (see 35 mm SLR thread) I had the choice
of paying more from some suppliers for one with a manufacturer's
warranty, or less from other suppliers for one that was a grey import
that has the reseller's warranty but no manufacturer's warranty.

I had that choice in teh 70/80s too.

I took the calculated risk to go for the grey import,
hoping that I'd never need to call on a reseller's
warranty that might not be worth the paper it's written on.

I did the opposite lucky I did as the canon A1 didnlt work properly out
of teh box. so it went back to the shop and they ordered a new one.

As it is, the camera is just coming up to the end of the manufacturer's
warranty period and I've not had to claim, so I made the right decision.

Me too.
I didn;t think the risk of saving £20 or so worth it.