David Efflandt

Default Municipal water pressure

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:40:44 GMT, Scott wrote:
What is the conventional pressure range for a city water supply? The
one at my mom's house is at 110 PSI and rising, and it's causing
multiple failures in the 60-year-old pipes that were originally
installed for a 30-40 PSI deep well supply.

At this point we're incurring a lot of expenses in repairs and, now,
replacing the entire line from main to house (~200 yards). I'm just
interested in whether the water district might have some liability for
pumping the water pressure so high.

Normally city water should be between 20 to 80 psi, but usually there is
not too much concern if it is somewhat higher, as long as it is normally
that high. I grew up in Milwaukee, WI where we always had 80 psi on the
outskirts of town, and downtown it might vary from 90-120. And Chippawa
Falls, WI has always had 125 psi down by the river.

But if the pressure has been rising or is surging, the city might have a
pressure regulating valve or pump controls that need work. You could get
your own pressure regulating valve to protect her house. But if you use
one of those or there is a backflow preventer on your meter connection,
the house may need an expansion tank on the cold water supply to the water
heater to handle thermal expansion (cold water expands and can build
pressure when heated).