Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

brought next idea :
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote: "
Me, too and my microwave oven is a 1200 watt model. I've found
out if I heat a mug of soup for 3½ minutes at 60% power vs. 2
minutes at 100% power I get no boil overs and even heating. It
took a while for me to hit "

You've learned something few realize about
microwave ovens: 100%, or Full power, is
good for only one thing: boiling water.

50-60% on a microwave corresponds to
medium on a typical electric stove, and is
where most cooking should go on. It
will require longer cooking times, but will
cook more evenly and without scorching.

As for someone else on here suggesting
microwaves do not cook from the inside
out: A year ago I had occasion to warm
up a frozen stick of butter. So I
programmed 4 minutes on level 3(medium
low). What came out was a mostly intact
stick with HOLES IN THE SIDES where
hot butter had poured out from INSIDE.

The electromagnetic waves will penetrate some materials better than
others and in some cases will vibrate polar molecules (usually H2O) on
the inside which then heat surrounding material.