Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
It;'s similar to lifetime guarantees where the con is that you have to
have a reciept why ?
If a product is faulty it goers back to the manufacter for replacement NOT
the store, as where you brought it should be irrelivant.

Normally, the receipt is the proof of *when* as well as *where* the device
was bought. It's irrelevant whether you bought your vacuum cleaner (or
whatever) from Currys, John Lewis or a local one-off private electrical
shop, but if the warranty is for two years, then proving *when* you bought
the vac (and so when the warranty clock starts ticking) is crucial.

However you are talking about a lifetime warranty, so the concept of "when
the clock starts ticking" is irrelevant. All I can think is that the
manufacturer wants to make sure you've bought the appliance from an
authorised reseller and have not acquired it as a "grey import" that has
bypassed the normal distribution channels and may not even be authentic (it
could be a rip-off clone). Also, it's a check that the appliance isn't
nicked and bought from a man in a pub, no questions asked :-)

When I bought my camera (see 35 mm SLR thread) I had the choice of paying
more from some suppliers for one with a manufacturer's warranty, or less
from other suppliers for one that was a grey import that has the reseller's
warranty but no manufacturer's warranty. I took the calculated risk to go
for the grey import, hoping that I'd never need to call on a reseller's
warranty that might not be worth the paper it's written on. As it is, the
camera is just coming up to the end of the manufacturer's warranty period
and I've not had to claim, so I made the right decision.