Posted to sci.electronics.repair
boomer#[email protected] boomer#6877250@none.com is offline

Default Defective male power connector on computer speakers

I have an inexpensive pair of powered computer speakers. I didn't pay
much for them. but they have worked pretty well for the last year or so.
All of a sudden they became touchy and would not turn on, or would shut
themselves off.

Bending and twisting power cord makes it work (maybe), for a short time.
The power comes from a wall transformer labeled output 7.5V 350MA. The
plug on the cord end that plugs into one of the speakers looks like
this:
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/content...apter-fig5.jpg
(probably not the same dimentions)

I put a meter on the plug, wiggled the cord and there is no loose
connection. I opened the speaker and found that if I wiggle the male
plug socket soldered onto the circuit board, I make and break the
connection. Using the ohm scale on my meter, it appears the outer shell
terminal is the one at fault. (Not the center pin). Pushing a thin
jewlers screwdriver under that plug seems to maintain a connection.

In brief, that male connector has a bad connection and needs to be
replaced.

I am aware these plugs come in many sizes, and finding the right one
could be a challenge. That eliminates shopping online. This leaves me
with only Radio Shack, meaning I'll have to take the transformer along
and see if anything fits.

My question is DO THEY MAKE INLINE MALE PLUGS FOR THESE KINDS OF PLUGS?
Im sure finding one that will fit on the circuit board will be near
impossible. But I could easily run 2 wires out the back and solder on a
male inline plug.

If all else fails, I will probably just cut the female plug off the cord
and solder the cord right into the speaker. I'm not willing to spend
much money or a lot of time on this project, but they work fine othewise
so I want to fix them.

By the way, is there a name for this type of plug?