edee em

Default Renovating lawn

First question I have is why are you doing this? What's wrong with the
lawn? I ask this because if you don't fix what hurt your first lawn, guess
what is going to happen to your fix? Second, why bother doing all of this
if you aren't going to use the opportunity to fix the soil under the grass.

I'm lazy too but here's what I did:

1. Dug up the lawn by hand. Just turned it over and let it winter. The
frost is good for breaking up large clumps of soil such as you would get
from a spade shovel.

2. Rototilled the area two or three times. I don't think it needed it but
I found that I liked rototilling!

3. Brought in 25 yards of sandy loam knowing I had all clay back there.
Rototilled the new stuff in.

4. Had the sprinkler system installed.

5. Grub application

6. Sodded.

There isn't a step above that I wouldn't do again (except maybe rototill a
few more times)!

"HK" wrote in message
.. .
I'm about to embark on a complete replacement of my lawn. I've done a lot
of research on the net and find advice to be evenly divided between using
Roundup to kill the old lawn (and weeds) and removing/chopping up the old
lawn with a lawn cutter or tiller.

Being a lazy guy, I'm attracted to the Roundup method but I have one
question. I plan to resod, not seed. So, if I just lay the new sod over
the old lawn, won't I end up with a lawn that's a inch or so higher the

the
old one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.