Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.electronics.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default What does decent celestial navigation freeware on Androidactually do?

On 11/30/2016 09:20 PM, AL wrote:
On 11/30/2016 10:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

I wouldn't dream of having permanent monovision (one eye for distance,
one for near), but I have contacts like that. The brain deals with it
-- mostly -- but there's a certain amount of ghosting unless the light
is really bright. My daughter doesn't even notice that with hers.

Don't you lose your binocular (3D) vision with that setup? I was offered
that for my implants but declined. I never really minded wearing glasses
all that much anyway. I have my implants set for indoor distances so
only really need glasses for reading and driving.

Not that I've noticed. The out-of-focusness isn't that bad, especially
when my pupils are stopped down. I would never have selected monovision
IOLs, but I was surprised at how good the contacts are.

I had my IOLs set for distance. I spend most of my time doing close
stuff, but I want to be able to see without glasses outside, which seems
much more urgent. Besides, the 99-Cents-Only Store reading glasses work
just fine, but you have to pay to get prescription distance glasses!

When my mom had her cataracts done her ophthoquack decided she should
have near vision, which meant that she wore trifocals and hated them.
She was really angry when I found out and told her that she could have
chosen distance if that's what she wanted. The quack was a quack in
other ways too, and another ophthalmologist spent half an hour on the
phone trying to convince me not to report the ******* to the medical
board. He won -- I knew I wouldn't be able to get a doctor to testify
against the quack, but I was seriously thinking of picketing his office.
Mom didn't want me to, so I didn't. "Ask me how Dr. Schiff blinded my
mom..."

Cataracts turn the lens yellow. I was really surprised to see the
difference in color between the two eyes.

My color improvement was amazing. I had no idea I was that bad. When
they deteriorate slowly over the years you don't notice.

(I waited months to have the second eye done --

3 months for me. Between eyes I went to a Savers store and found some
used glasses that had a lenses that worked for the new eye and knocked
out the other lens for the old eye. Worked surprisingly well for that
time I had unbalanced eyes. Looked a little weird though.

I just had one lens in my regular glasses replaced. Did the other one
after the other eye was done. Glasses still improve my vision, but it's
just SOOO much better than it was that I'm not about to complain. Well,
maybe a little...

I've had the implants in ten years now with no problems. My eyeglass
prescription never changes anymore which is nice. For some reason my
pupils now give a green reflection which gives my grandkids a charge.

Slick.

For those contemplating the procedure my only advice is don't wait.

Or at least wait until insurance covers it.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the