Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which one is better? PUNCH PRESS VS LASER

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Has anyone on the group ever made a bolt driven chassis punch? I
want one for the common as dirt IEC 'C7' connector used for computer
power cords. They sell for around $600, which is out of the
question.

The closest I've made is a bolt driven die set for repairing a tarp
shelter cover with 3/8" brass grommets. Hardening and tempering steel
to the right degree to cut metal is tricky, and grinding punches and
dies evenly a job for a surface grinder unless you have a good hand
and eye for a belt sander.

I used a D connector punch for a while on a job and didn't have good
luck with it because the tightening torque misaligned the punch and
die, despite the guide pins and oil on the screw. I wasn't the first
user.

Usually I grouped the connector cutouts onto a flat rectangular panel
that fit in the milling vise and hogged out an oversized clearance
hole for it in the formed chassis.

You could cut out the opening in a slightly larger piece of steel and
clamp it on as a filing guide.

--jsw