Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default What rope to use outside?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 23:33:49 -0500, micky
wrote:

I used 1/2" cotton clothesline for an outdoor project, but even with no
special molds or anything, since it's under stress, I think it will
break in 2 or 3 years.

So I want to get some better rope. What do I need?. 1/8" nylon rope
will break. And I think 1/4" will also.?? Is it hard to tie a good
knot in 1/2" nylon? They have 15 feet for 16$ (at home depot it's
in store only, for some reason) , so what about the knot. Is it a good
idea to keep the knot from coming apart by heating it with a match
until it forms one blob?

They also have Everbiltt 3/8 in. x 50 ft Twisted Nylon and Polyester
Rope. $16 Easier to make a knot? Strong enough?

Other materials?

Details.
I have an arbor vitae tree that got bogged down by snow a couple years
ago. It had several sub-trunks. IIRC one got bent down so bad I had to
cut it off, , one got bent down so much it broke this year, one bent 10
or 20^ from vertical and remains there, and one was about 30^ from
vertical, until a couple months ago. Actually I had tied 3 of the
trunks back together a couple in the spring after this happened, using
green wire covered in vinyl, some of which broke.

2 or 3 weeks ago the one leaning 30^ drooped some more, over the
sidewalk, so that it brushed my head as I walked in. Then a few days
later, it drooped more so that I had to duck. I left a sign on the
front door for the mailman to object if he wanted to.

I've been stalling around about doing something, but yesterday it
drooped so much I couldn't bend down enough to get underneath. Had to
walk around. So today I tied some clothes line, 1/2" cotten clothes line
to the drooping trunk, went around the main trunk and pulled up the
drooping one. I couldn't get it all the way up on my own, and even if I
get my neighbor to push while I pull the rope, since it's been drooping
for a couple years, I'm dubious. The straighter it is, the less strain
is put on the rope. But since I can't get it straight, I think the
cotton rope will break in about 2 years.

Can you post some pictures of the actual tree, specifically the
problem area? It sounds as if you might need to bite the bullet and
prune the damaged sub trunk. You might be able to save it by cutting
it much shorter to reduce it's weight and then tie it in position so
it can heal.

Is this the variety of tree you are dealing with?

https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeg...cfm?ItemID=776