Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default What rope to use outside?

"micky" wrote in message
I used 1/2" cotton clothesline for an outdoor project, but even with no
special molds or anything, since it's under stress, I think it will
break in 2 or 3 years.

So I want to get some better rope. What do I need?. 1/8" nylon rope
will break. And I think 1/4" will also.?? Is it hard to tie a good
knot in 1/2" nylon? They have 15 feet for 16$ (at home depot it's
in store only, for some reason) , so what about the knot. Is it a good
idea to keep the knot from coming apart by heating it with a match
until it forms one blob?

They also have Everbiltt 3/8 in. x 50 ft Twisted Nylon and Polyester
Rope. $16 Easier to make a knot? Strong enough?

Other materials?

Manila hemp. Polypropelene. The only value to the latter is that it floats;
beyond that, it is junk.

Beyond strength, the most useful characteristic of nylon is that it
stretches. Dacron - polyester - doesn't.

1/4" of whatever is plenty strong enough.

Melt or serve nylon/dacron ends but not knots. Knots won't come apart if
you use the right knot.