Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.electronics.repair
Carlos E.R. Carlos E.R. is offline

Default What does decent celestial navigation freeware on Androidactually do?

On 2016-11-29 08:27, The Real Bev wrote:
On 11/28/2016 08:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 18:49:20 +0000, Whiskers
wrote:

However, a crystal controlled clock is only allowed
+/-0.07 sec/day = 2.1 sec/month = 25.2 sec/year.

There are now better clocks that easily meet the COSC requirements:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/atomic-bill/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846511652/the-worlds-first-true-atomic-wris****ch-the-cesium

In [possibly] 2008 we bought some Casio 'atomic' watches with solar
batteries at Costco for ~$25 each plus tax. The same watches are
generally available for $100 now. Not only are they incredibly
accurate due to receiving nightly hits from the atomic clock in [I
believe] Boulder CO, the black plastic bands show no sign of wearing
out, unlike the bands on previous Casio digital watches I've had.

There's nothing quite like owning a truly accurate timepiece :-)

But it is not a "truly accurate timepiece", in the sense that it is not
autonomous. It needs a sync signal from outside.

And I hope it is well built... I have a wall clock that syncs every
night (about 3 AM) from a radio signal from Germany, I think. The rest
of the day it runs autonomously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock

However, sometimes there is some problem and it is 15 hours off sync.
Depending on the model, it can manage to sync the next day, or never. I
can not really trust it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.