Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Gas pipe tightening question from a newbie

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:44:04 AM UTC-5, fyou2 wrote:
replying to Eric in North TX, fyou2 wrote:
The pros dont use unions because it is against code to use unions on gas pipe.

Better tell that to my gas company. There are unions at the meter.

2 you should always undersize the wrench because u can over tighten the pipe
and stretch out the fitting. Unless you are working with 3 inch pipe or bigger
there is never a need for a 4 inch pipe.

Who could argue with that logic? Plus, you see many folks there on
Home Moaners Hub working with 3"+ gas pipe?

If there is a leak you can use a
left/right nipple and coupling to use as a breaking point. Also you cant use
tape on a gas thread except for the yellow tape because all other stuff is
flamable.

I thought the only difference was that yellow tape was thicker than
white. And I don't see how flammability is an issue anyway.