Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PM 1440 - First Failure

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
...Do all dead centers have a domed tip when looked at under a
glass?

Ever hear of "Machinist's Elbow", caused by forgetting to remove
the center?

Since you may want to machine to finer precision than you can see,
the better way to center the tailstock is with a chucked indicator
riding on the conical surface. A quick check is to grab a milling
edge finder in both the spindle and tailstock chucks.
--jsw

I figured I'd use an indicator to dial it in closer when I need it.
Not sure I agree about the edge finder. I am sure my tail stock
drill chuck isn't "that" good, and I tend to leave the three jaw on
the head stock for speed. I keep trying to convince myself I can
learn to be as fast as the guys showing off on YouTube with their 4
jaw, but I don't think I have another two ot three decades to master
that skill. LOL.

A trick for that is to zero the indicator dial with the crossfeed on a
low jaw, rotate halfway to the high jaw, then adjust out half the
reading. Two revolutions get me within a few thousandths, then I
position the indicator for equal + and - deflections around a major
division.
--jsw