Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM[_4_] GMM[_4_] is offline

Default Virgin media cabling

On 24/11/2016 15:46, Alan Dawes wrote:
In article ,
GMM wrote:
I'm just about at the end of my tether with BT internet. It's not so
much the speed but the way it drops out for a few seconds to minutes
every half hour or so. Of course they deny there's any kind of problem.

Are you using the older BT Home Hub version 1 or 2 or 3? Nearly 2 years
ago I was suffering the same thing and BT upgraded me to the Home Hub 4
just for the cost of postage and that has cured the problem.

The latest version 5 would have cost me but that has had some very good
reviews in eg Computer Shopper.

Alan

That's interesting as I'd been assuming that it would be the ancient
copper causing the issues and I do have a HH3.

Now, of course, I have a dilemma: BT want not just paying but also a 12
month contract for a new router. If that solved it, fine, but if it
didn't then I'm stuck with a crap service for another year.
Meanwhile, the Virgin option is looking like quite a job with either
co-ax or cat 5, especially if their router isn't great.

Maybe I'll buy a third party router, try that for a bit and see what
happens(!)