Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PM 1440 - First Failure

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
...Do all dead centers have a domed tip when looked at under a glass?

Ever hear of "Machinist's Elbow", caused by forgetting to remove the
center?

Since you may want to machine to finer precision than you can see, the
better way to center the tailstock is with a chucked indicator riding on
the conical surface. A quick check is to grab a milling edge finder in
both the spindle and tailstock chucks.
--jsw

I figured I'd use an indicator to dial it in closer when I need it. Not
sure I agree about the edge finder. I am sure my tail stock drill chuck
isn't "that" good, and I tend to leave the three jaw on the head stock for
speed. I keep trying to convince myself I can learn to be as fast as the
guys showing off on YouTube with their 4 jaw, but I don't think I have
another two ot three decades to master that skill. LOL.